Three Business Tips about Taxation in New Zealand
Business Tip 1
When running your own business, GET AN ACCOUNTANT.
- Ask around, talk to other business owners in your town.
- Find out whose good, make an appointment to see the accountant
- Interview them to see if they "Fit you". If they don't go see another one.
Business Tip 2:
Get informed about taxation
Business Tip 3:
If you ring Inland Revenue before you start asking questions: Ask the name of the person you are talking to.
- If you ring the taxation help line - Ask the person you are speaking with for their name. Keep a record of their name on your Calendar.
- Make notes while speaking with people.
- To ensure your understanding of a conversation is congruent ask them to
- send you a "ruling" or
- An email confirming your conversation with them
- If the email is different to what you believe was discussed, email them back and start a discussion that seeks clarification
- Finally ask them to make notes on your file outlining your discussion with them (written notes are helpful for future interactions)